Wisdom Tooth Removal
Wisdom Tooth Removal In Seawoods, Navi Mumbai
WHAT ARE WISDOM TEETH?
We all are aware that we humans have 32 permanent teeth that erupt as we age. The last teeth to erupt in the oral cavity are the last molars, often termed as wisdom teeth as they erupt at a mature age, after the age of 18 years and sometimes even in late adulthood.
There are a set of four wisdom teeth that erupt, two on the top line and two on the bottom.
Due to the evolutionary process, the jaw size in humans is decreasing. This has led to reduced space for the last tooth i.e., the wisdom tooth, causing them to erupt in abnormal positions and angles. It can be painful, and there may be increased food lodgement around them. If it is left untreated for a long time, it can lead to infection and swelling, affecting the neighbouring tissues like other teeth and gums.
Being the last in line, sometimes the eruption of wisdom teeth might not be smooth for space constraints. They are misaligned and might also damage the adjacent teeth.
In some individuals, the wisdom teeth are tilted or rotated or sometimes there is no space in the jaw to accommodate them and it results in a lot of pain and discomfort. Also, you will be surprised to know that wisdom teeth do not even help in chewing food. So, if you are suffering from such a toothache, then it is better to get your wisdom tooth extracted.
Does your wisdom tooth hurt? Do you need to get it removed? Read on to know more about the procedure and what you must know before getting them extracted.
At Ivory dental clinic, we have extracted hundreds of wisdom teeth (often termed as an impacted tooth) and that is why we know that most people are scared when they hear words like injection, extraction, or surgery.
To be honest, let us tell you that it is not as difficult as it sounds. The small procedure is always done under anaesthesia, and there is no damage to other teeth, gums, or bone. If there is any infection below the tooth, it is cleaned after removal.
If you are in search of a good dentist for wisdom tooth removal in Seawoods then get in touch with us at the Ivory Dental Clinic.
WHAT PROBLEMS CAN A WISDOM TOOTH CAUSE?
Wisdom teeth are not used for chewing and they rise late and therefore the internal mouth conditions might not be very conducive for them to erupt properly.
- Sometimes the wisdom tooth erupts partially and remains embedded in the soft tissue of the gums. This condition is called an Impacted wisdom tooth.
- In the case of a partial eruption, there are chances there is the lodging of food, dirt and bacteria entering the tooth and causing infection. The partial soft tissue tear can also cause swelling and be severely painful and could also lead to general illness.
- Because of these conditions, it will be difficult to brush or floss, leading the tooth to early decay and might also create gum disease.
- Pericoronitis: This is a condition of inflammation of the gingival flap around wisdom teeth and is common.
- Food impaction: Due to the hindmost and difficult position of the wisdom teeth, food impaction is common here, which increases the risk of building cavities.
- Tooth misalignment: Wisdom teeth when unable to find space to erupt puts pressure on adjacent teeth causing misalignment.
ADVANCED CHALLENGES OF WISDOM TOOTH
Wisdom teeth can cause misalignment and crowding if they do not get ample space to erupt. There are also chances the tooth might be impacted and might not erupt totally.
Your dentist might thus recommend you remove a wisdom tooth at an early stage, during its eruption as you grow older the mouth becomes harder which would make it difficult to remove the tooth causing heavy bleeding, and even loss of movement in the jaw.
Wisdom teeth might also present advanced challenges like below. Your dentist will be able to thoroughly diagnose the individual case and suggest a measure-
- Crowding: Crowding is the misalignment of the teeth due to pressure from the adjacent inclined tooth.
- Jaw Damage: Wisdom teeth can damage the jawline.
- Sinus Issue: Wisdom teeth can also trigger sinus pain and congestion.
- Gum Problem: The swelling around the soft tissue will make it difficult to clean.
- Gaps in Gums: The pockets are created due to swollen gums. Leading to the decay process.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS THAT SUGGEST A WISDOM TOOTH SHOULD BE REMOVED?
In case you have-
- Pain behind your molars that can be very severe at times
- Redness, swelling, tenderness that can lead to infection
- Foul breath as well as bad taste in the mouth
- Jaw pain and stiffness
WHY A WISDOM TOOTH SHOULD BE REMOVED?
Wisdom teeth are bulkier as compared to the other teeth in the oral cavity. The curvature of the wisdom tooth and the level at which they are situated may vary from person to person. Some may be visible above the gums, whereas others may be tilted or embedded within the bone, which makes it difficult to grab them with conventional tools. Earlier in 3% of these extractions, loss of sensation was observed, but thanks to high precision cutting tools available now, drilling around the tooth has become easier. The procedure is more predictable and has reduced the chances of such complications. Following this, the dentist gently elevates the tooth to loosen it up without damaging the adjacent tissues it is removed.
All these must be performed with precision; hence it is better to get them removed by a skilled dentist. This is a minor procedure that requires 30 to 45 minutes to complete. It is performed under local anaesthesia so that the patient will not experience any pain during the procedure. If you want to remove a wisdom tooth in Nerul, call us at Ivory Dental Clinic.
PROCEDURE FOR WISDOM TEETH REMOVAL
The extraction of a wisdom tooth depends upon how far it has erupted. For a tooth that has fully erupted, the extraction is easier. For the impacted tooth, incisions must be made in the gums. The wisdom tooth is usually extracted in parts to minimise the amount of bone required to be extracted for tooth removal.
The dentist will first evaluate the position of the wisdom tooth as well as the complexity of the situation before starting the extraction.
- Anaesthesia: A local anaesthesia is administered in the area near the tooth to numb it. This is done to keep the patient out of pain and discomfort.
At Ivory Dental Clinic Seawoods, we use a computerized delivery method for giving anaesthesia to reduce the pain of the injection, thus providing a comfortable experience during the extraction.
- Tooth Extraction: Once the area around the wisdom tooth has numbed, the dentist will extract the tooth. There will be a certain pulling pressure felt and no pain at this time. Once the tooth is extracted a medicated gauze bandage is placed at the site to stop bleeding.
The numbness might wear off after 30 minutes to two hours and your dentist might advise you to stop eating from that side for some time.
POST WISDOM TOOTH REMOVAL
There may be mild pain, swelling and reduced mouth opening after the procedure for some time. It can be easily managed by following the special instructions and medicines that your dentist prescribes you. They will help to support you during recovery. We are well known in Navi Mumbai for providing painless wisdom tooth removal with utmost care especially with regards to hygiene and sanitation measures for the complete safety of our patients.
WHAT CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN POST WISDOM TOOTH REMOVAL?
- Avoid vigorous rinsing and touching the area.
- Be on a liquid diet for the first few days. Avoid the use of a straw.
- Do brush twice a day but make sure you are gentle on rinsing.
Other measures include –
- Bleeding management: Bleeding is a common effect after tooth extraction. Try to spit less and place a gauze over the extraction site to control blood flow. However, if the bleeding exceeds, then visit your dentist immediately.
- Pain management: Pain can be managed with pain killers. Your dentist will prescribe you the necessary painkillers.
- Swelling: Swelling at the extraction site and in the cheek might stay for a couple of days. The dentist recommends using an ice pack externally near the extraction site.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT WISDOM TOOTH EXTRACTION
1.What is the tooth removal cost?
For knowing the tooth removal cost in Seawoods, our dentist would need to ascertain the condition of your wisdom tooth and the effort and time it would take to be extracted.
2.How long does the pain last after the removal of wisdom teeth?
The wisdom tooth extraction might be painful for a couple of days. Therefore, special care should be taken post-procedure as asked by your dentist.
3.What is the use of wisdom teeth?
The wisdom tooth has lost its utility today. It helped the human ancestors in grinding plant-based tissues. With evolution, our diets have changed and the wisdom tooth has lost its original functionality.
4.What is the best thing to eat after getting a wisdom tooth removed?
- No beverages: You should avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks at least in the first 24 hours of the treatment. Avoid drinking with a straw as it may lead to dislodging the blood clot from the chamber.
- Food: Consume soft food for at least 2-3 days post-extraction. Try eating semi-soft food as you can adjust to eating. Hard and chewy foods can get stuck in the wound and irritate and cause pain.
5. After extracting the wisdom tooth, under what conditions should you call your dentist?
Post wisdom tooth extraction, if you are facing the following issues, it is time you see your dentist-
- Facing difficulty in breathing and swallowing
- Excessive bleeding from the extraction site
- Severe pain even after taking painkillers
- If your swelling is not subsiding even after 2-3 days
- Pus in the extracted area
If you are facing pain and discomfort due to your wisdom tooth, you can call us for an appointment at the Ivory Dental Clinic. If you are looking for wisdom tooth removal in Nerul, we welcome you to experience world-class dentistry at our multi-speciality Dental Clinic in Seawoods, Navi Mumbai.