TMJ and Throat Pain
The condition in which your throat pain does not subside might need a little more introspection. It might be more than sore throat, allergy, or viral flu symptoms. Constant throat pain could also be caused by TMJ – Temporomandibular Joint dysfunction. TMJ also leads to laryngitis, urge for frequent throat clearing, and throat pain.
TMJ is a joint between the lower jawbone, and the temporal bone, which is a bone at the side of the head. These joints are based near the ears on both sides of the head. They are active when we talk, chew, swallow, yawn, breathe through the mouth including any activity that involves opening and closing our jaws.
Any condition triggered by the TMJ is known as Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD).
TMJ can be identified through many symptoms-
- Sore throat with no infection
- Swallowing difficulty
- Voice irregularities or changes
- Frequent coughing
- Constant clearing of the throat
- A feeling of a foreign object in the throat
The soft disc that pads the TMJ sometimes moves from its places and with improper cushioning and shock absorption it could lead to abnormal movement of the jaws leading to throat pain and other issues. TMJ can also lead to temporary jaw locking, clicking, or popping sounds during opening and closing the mouth, and even sleep disorders.
The TMJ Specialist who are dentists trained in addressing and treating TMJ disorders often recommend conservative treatments.
The TMJ specialist might recommend different diagnosis methods to gauge the intensity of the situation.
- Blood tests
- X-rays of the mouth and jaw
- Ultrasound to assess the function of the TMJ
- The early relief could be through pain relievers
- Mouth and jaw exercises
- Recommending a bruxism appliance called stabilization splint to be worn at night
- Recurrent or chronic TMJ patients are referred for physical therapy. Where the therapist can help restore joint mobility, increase muscle strength, and relieve pain.
- Relaxation techniques
- Breathing exercises
- Soft diet
- Avoiding extreme jaw movements
Invasive Surgical Measures
- A major resort for restoring TMJ could be trigger point injections
- Prolotherapy and nerve blocks can offer immediate pain relief and function with lesser risk and discomfort.
- Botox is also utilized for TMJ disorders and migraines
If you have been experiencing constant pain in the throat that is ruled off as sore throat or other viral infection or facing other TMJ symptoms like difficulty or pain in chewing or swallowing, clicking sounds when opening and closing your mouth, pain in the jaws or facial pain, you might need to meet a TMJ specialist.
Ideally, you if begin your TMJ treatment when it is in the early stages of detection, the dentist should be able to suggest some corrective or conservative measures if the condition is identified early.
As TMJ specialists, we often come across extreme cases that are advanced and would need only surgically measures to restore.
We are a specialized dental clinic in Navi Mumbai offering TMJ treatment through highly trained dentists. Block an appointment with us if you are already suffering through this condition for an easier and faster recovery.